Come and get to know us...

This is our story: Ryan and I were set up on a blind date by my sister and his sister-in-law. I was living in Utah at the time and he was in Washington. We went on a fabulous date to dinner and an Arena football game. It was great and Ryan loved that I knew what was going on and loved sports. At the end of the date he asked if he could see me the next day before I left to go back to Utah. We played games with his family the next night and had a great time. We talked for a long time that night and wondered when we could see each other again. And he kissed me good night!
Ryan called me every day that week and one day he asked if I would go to a concert with him on a Tuesday night. I didn't think there was anyway that I could fly up and go, but I worked it out that I would fly there on Tuesday and fly back to Utah on Wednesday. It was great to see him again. He flew to Utah a couple weeks after that. We were just hitting it off so well. One night as we were talking he opened up. I knew that he had had cancer and had been through so much a few years earlier. We had talked about that, but this night he went into much more depth--especially the side effects of all the treatments that he had undergone. He told me how he would probably never be able to have biological children and he asked how I felt about adoption. This kind of shocked me, but I cared about Ryan and wanted to pursue this relationship. I wasn't going to end things because of this news. And adoption had always appealed to me.
We continued our long distance relationship. In June, after about 6 weeks of going back and forth, I made the decision to move to Washington to be closer to him. Timing of the blind date was perfect so that I could make this decision. I had recently graduated from BYU and was working at two part time jobs that I could easily leave. In July I moved to Washington. I found a job and in August Ryan proposed. We were married in October. From the first date to our wedding was not quite 6 months. I swore I would never do that, oh well, he was the right one, at the right time, in the right place. We went on a cruise for our honeymoon. It was awesome! After being married for about 6 months, we both individually decided that it was time to add to our family of two. We knew that we would need to see the fertility specialist and do in-vitro fertilization (IVF) in order to have a baby. As we went through the IVF treatments, we had all the faith in the world that it was going to happen. The doctor told us that there was not a very good chance, but we had faith. Unfortunately it didn’t work. We were completely heartbroken.
Over the next few months we had to grieve with the loss of the child we never had.
We eventually felt blessed that without being married a year, we knew that we were infertile and didn't have to deal with the month to month pain of not being pregnant. By the end of the year we were ready to start the adoption process. When we called LDS Family Services, they told us that we would have to wait until we had been married for two years before we could proceed. We asked for them to make a special exception, but they couldn't. So we waited.
Ryan and I filled out all the paperwork and did all the necessary things to get approved for adoption. After we were approved we told everyone that we knew that we were trying to adopt and asked them to help spread the news. A little over a year after we had been approved we got an email from my aunt who lives in another state. She told me that she knew someone that was pregnant and not married and was considering placing her son for adoption. My aunt had shared with her our blog and information. Our sweet Julie read it and felt like we were to be the parents of her little boy. She emailed a couple of days and we read the sweetest words: “I've read your blog and it really touched me. Ever since I found out I was pregnant I never felt much like it was supposed to be mine. Please let me know if you can consider adopting my son. I know you will be a great choice.” We immediately felt so peaceful. We started emailing back and forth and building a relationship with her. We visited her a few weeks later and she immediately felt like family. About 3 months after she contacted us for the first time, she called us to let us know that the baby was going to be born that day. We jumped on the next flight and made it to the hospital a few hours after our sweet baby Lucas was born.
We spent time in the hospital with Julie and we met Lucas’ birthfather. We had a great time getting to know him and his family. We really cherished the time that we got to spend with Julie and Scottie and their families. When Lucas was 11 days old we flew home to Washington. We were so happy to be a family of 3!
Lucas is such a happy boy. We love being his parents! He is now 2 years old. We are now hoping to add another child to our family. We want him to be a big brother.

We have met with our caseworker and filled all the necessary paperwork and completed the background checks. We are now approved for adoption and looking for our next child! We are so excited for what the future will bring!
"The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude." -Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin "Come What May, and Love It"

Saturday, May 23, 2009

2 Years

Two years ago we went in for our first fertility doctor's appointment. We have been "trying" for two years to have kids. Two years ago we knew that we wanted to have a baby. We saw the doctor and knew that in-vitro fertilization was the only way that we would be able to have a baby on our own. We wanted to proceed as quickly as possible. I had an ultrasound to make sure that I was okay and then a Hysterosalpingogram--dye was injected into my uterus and fallopian tubes while under x-ray. Not the most comfortable thing, but I was willing to do anything I needed. We were scheduled on the next series of IVF. I started giving myself shots every night in the end of June. I went into the office every other morning and with ultrasounds they measured the follicles. When things looked good I was ready for them to extract my eggs. I arrived July 5th early, got an IV put in and they knocked me out, when I woke up they were done. I made Ryan buy me a milkshake on the way home. Yum. I slept the rest of the day and Ryan took care of me and even went and bought me another milkshake. When we woke up the next morning we had missed a call from the nurse. They were going to try to inject the sperm into the eggs, there was a small chance that it would work. I called her back and she got on the phone and told me it didn't work. Heartbreaking. I cried all day. And many days after that.

That was two years ago.

Where am I now? I am stronger. I am closer to the Lord. I have learned things that I wouldn't have known. I have been stretched and pushed in ways that I didn't know I could endure. I have. And I am. I know that I needed that in order to get where I am now. We needed to know that our children would be coming to us through another avenue.

I was recently talking to my mom (she's the best!) about some frustrations that I am having with the "waiting." She reminded me of when Jesus walked on the water. He came to the disciples in the 4th watch, between the hours of 3am and 6am. They had been rowing all night and it was dark and they were tired and had not gotten very far. They had been pushed and didn't think they could do it much longer, and that is when the Savior came.

She also reminded me of the story of Lazarus. Jesus came to Mary and Martha. They were so sad because their brother had died and if Jesus had been there he would not have died. Jesus wept with them. He knew that he was going to raise Lazarus and they would be happy, but for a time he wept with them. He knows that all of this is going to work out for us. We are going to have a happy family, but he weeps with us now as we do.

I have faith that our children will come to us and we have no need to worry. Choice spirits will join our family. Heavenly Father's plan is wonderful. Ryan and I went to the temple the other night and did sealings. We thought about our own sealing and then how in the future what a blessing it will be to have our children sealed to us. That gives us a much better eternal perspective than just this short time that we are waiting. The Lord has blessed us and is continually blessing us.

No comments:

Post a Comment